Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Saturday 14 September 2019

Houghton-on-the-Hill (0705-1130)

What an incredible start to the day.  At 0530, about an hour prior to sunrise, I took a walk around Merton Common, the bright, full moon was setting to the west, and the distant silhouetted trees to the east were fringed with an Orange/Pinkish glow.  The temperature was a very autumnal +4 degrees Celsius.
I arrived at Houghton at just after 0700, some mist and fog patches lingered in the valleys, but the rising sun soon burnt this off and as the morning wore on it became pleasantly warm at about 20 degrees Celsius.
My aims this morning were two-fold, firstly, I wanted to check suitable habitat for migrant arrivals, and as it got warmer my plan was to set up for visual migration.  The elevated location here lends itself nicely to visible migration with commanding view over the distant Wissey valley and rising land beyond.
My highlights today were:

1 Hobby south along Wissey valley 1000
a light southerly Meadow Pipit passage
15+ Blackcaps
Several Whitethroats (10+)
1 immaculate looking Lesser Whitethroat
A few Chiffchaffs

Being mid-September I expect migrant Warblers to be plentiful now and indeed this morning I was pleased to see good numbers sharing the same patch of bushes in order to feed upon soft fruits.  Although territorial during the breeding season, Warblers tolerate each others company in their quest to feed up for migration.  I saw many Blackcaps, Whitethroat, and a stunning Lesser Whitethroat all using the same Bramble and Elder bushes to feed.
For me, the stunning Lesser Whitethroat was my highlight species today, this particular bird looked immaculate in its fresh autumn plumage.  This bird initially revealed itself coming out of a bush, I managed to get my 'scope on the bird and saw its grey head, slightly darker grey ear coverts, and dark lores, these features contrasted with the bright white throat, similarly, the white underparts contrasted with the brown/grey upperparts.  In flight, the bird revealed white outer tail feathers.  All in all, an extremely attractive bird.
Whitethroat at Houghton 14th September
From about 0930, as it was getting warmer, I positioned myself for visual migration.  Over the years this site has become a great migration watchpoint for me with some spectacular movements of common migrants being witnessed, as well as seeing common, scarce, and rare raptor species on the move in autumn.
My migration watch today produced a single Hobby flying leisurely south over the Wissey valley until lost to view.  There was also a light southerly passage of Meadow Pipits too.
 
Migration watchpoint 14th September.  Looking north over the Wissey Valley and beyond
Species list for 14th September at Houghton.
Pheasant, Sparrowhawk (3), Buzzard, Moorhen, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Hobby (1 south), Jay, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit (2), Blue Tit, Chiffchaff, Blackcap (15+), Lesser Whitethroat (1), Whitethroat (10+), Wren, Treecreeper (2), Blackbird, Song Thrush (1), Mistle Thrush (2), Robin, Dunnock, Meadow Pipit (light overhead passage), Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting (1).

No comments:

Post a Comment