Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Monday 10 September 2018

Visible migration and recent arrivals.

I decided this morning to visit high ground near North Pickenham to check hedgerow habitats for migrant species and to watch for any overhead passage.  Upon my arrival at about 0635, full cloud and mild conditions greeted me, the wind was a moderate SW.
Clear mornings at my site at this time of year would see the blinding sun preventing evidence of movement in the hedgerows, however, this morning was a little better with the cloud cover.  Despite this, not too much seen initially but as the morning wore on and light improved, several Warbler species were seen although not in the numbers of my previous visit, perhaps the wind direction was to blame.
I arrived at a natural spring which is surrounded by heavy Elder, Bramble, Sallow growth, and other shrubs and small trees, a magnet for migrants.
The first migrant heard was a calling Chiffchaff, this was followed by a singing male Blackcap, he was eventually found in a small Sallow.  A single Whitethroat was seen.  Given the amount of habitat here I was sure that more birds were present, especially in the inaccessible leeward side of the spring.
I then walked back on myself to find a gap in the hedge so that I could 'scope the southern edge of the a spring, I was hoping for Lesser Whitethroat, and within seconds a stunning looking bird popped up in an Elder bush covered in Bramble.  I watched this bird for a while from a distance as it picked at blackberries.  I never tire of this beautiful species.  This bird had the typical grey head (darker lores and slightly darker lower ear covert surrounds), the grey contrasted beautifully with the silky white throat.  The upperparts were concolourous brown (lacking any rusty tones of Whitethroat) and the underparts white.
Whilst overviewing the spring I heard a "krrrr" call very close to me in the hedge, then, a Reed Warbler popped up on an Elder branch, it seemed to remain in this area for the rest of my visit.
Shortly after seeing the Reed Warbler, my first passage Meadow Pipit of the autumn passed directly overhead and off in a southerly heading.
In addition to these wonderful migrants, a flock of c.25 Goldfinches roamed hedges and Yellowhammer was also seen.
A single Kestrel was seen on an Oak limb where it preened and a Buzzard called.

No comments:

Post a Comment