Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Saturday 4 August 2018

Migration is under way

Now we are in August the emphasis turns to searching for migrant passerine species.  Today is the first day of a week off and I intend to use it to look for passage birds on my patch.
I visited a particular site at which I go to regularly through to November which I have self-declared  my own inland migration watch-point.
Target species today was Sylvia Warblers, a group which turns up in sometimes remarkable in numbers here in August and September.
I arrived this morning to the monotonous call of a Chiffchaff, this bird was soon found in trees carrying food.
I followed the course of a well-stocked hedgerow corridor where I could see birds flying between hedges, however, most were silhouetted against the rising sun, I therefore intended to walk the entire length of the double hedgerow and walk back with the warming sun behind me.
Various calls emanated from the hedge  including "tics", "tacs", and "chits".  A number of Whitethroats were seen in mostly Bramble and Elder, although dead umbellifer heads were visited to presumably extract small insects or spiders from.  The Whitethroats seen were female/1st winter birds, very rufous and with a lovely fawn head plumage.
Whitethroat on umbellifer species 4th August
I intended to search for Lesser Whitethroats this morning and soon found 3 birds, absolutely stunning with their lead grey heads contrasting strongly with the white throat and mousey grey-brown uppers.  The Lesser Whitethroats were also seen clambering about in umbellifers showing off their gorgeous silky white underparts, a feature noticeable at range without binoculars.  Nearby, a stunning female Blackcap was seen entering a hedge whilst an unseen male briefly sang.
Aside from migrants, resident species seen included several Linnets, including males showing off their beautiful rosy pink breast sides.  Yellowhammers were also seen as well as several juvenile Blue Tits.

No comments:

Post a Comment