Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 10 October 2017

Houghton-on-the-Hill, Norfolk 1445-1620

Following a very long weekend at work, I decided on a visit to Houghton to check the wooded areas and hedgerows for evidence of migrants.  The first thing I noticed was the double hedgerow east of the church has been cut since my visit on Friday last.
The recent visit to this site of the Yellow-browed Warbler got me thinking of where the bird was roosting.  Two of my early morning visits saw the YB Warbler initially in the hedgerow east of the church, checking this habitat this afternoon saw lots of dense Ivy, a possible roost-site maybe.
There was no sight or sound of the Yellow-browed Warbler today, indeed, I have received no feedback from friends over the weekend to suggest the bird was still in the area.
A mobile flock comprising mostly Blue Tits, also included Marsh Tit, 3+ Goldcrests, and Long-tailed Tits.  Both Blue Tit and Goldcrest visited the pond to drink.  Coal Tit, Blackbirds and Robins were seen in the churchyard.
Of passage interest, unseen but calling Redpoll was heard overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment