Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 9 June 2017

Watton Brook Whitethroats

My previous post related to a pair of Whitethroats in the Watton Brook Valley in Little Cressingham, well, today I revisited this location for the first time since 29th May to see how they are progressing.
I get so much pleasure from experiencing intimate observations of birds by spending time to watch their behaviour, their coming and goings.
Upon my arrival at this locality I was subjected to alarm and agitation calls from these beautiful Warblers, however, in time, they appeared to accept me as I sat and watched.
Whitethroat at Little Cressingham 9th June.  (One of a pair feeding young)
I am pleased to report that young Whitethroats were seen today in their natal area of a Bramble patch by the brook, and the adult birds were feeding them.  A young Whitethroat was seen flying upstream along the brook to visit rank vegetation where there would be a good food source for them.  Clearly, I think these young Whitethroats are able to feed themselves as well as receiving support from the parent birds.
There is nothing like knowing your birds, their habits, habitats, and behaviour, and having intimate insights into their daily routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment