Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 3 February 2017

Early morning close encounter with a Goshawk

At sunrise today I was walking through Cranberry Rough, when, silhouetted against the morning sky, a large female Goshawk passed left to right just above the tree canopy and appearing like a patrolling fighter plane. Having circled once it went out of sight. Passing low just above the tree canopy indicated to me this powerful raptor was hoping to 'put up' an unsuspecting or frightened Pigeon.
Seconds later the Goshawk reappeared heading towards me, it accelerated as it gave chase to a spooked Pigeon, however, the Goshawk broke off the chase and to my surprise it landed in a tree about 150 feet in front of me...but only before flying off into thick woodland.
Although silhouetted against the sky, and no opportunity for a photograph, this close encounter will add to my catalogue of close encounters with this enigmatic, powerful raptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment