Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 19 January 2017

Welborne, Norfolk

My job takes me to many beautiful villages and towns, and of course some wonderful lanes and their variety of habitats.  On the 18th January I was working in Wymondham and nearby villages, and for my afternoon break I stopped in a remote area near the village of Welborne, near Brandon Parva.

I had finished a call in Morley and drove through the village of Wicklewood, it was here that I saw a single Stonechat in roadside ditch habitat.

Welborne
For my afternoon break I parked up south of Welborne on School Lane by the Candlestick junction to overview the fields there.   Visibility was very good, however, light was poor due to full cloud cover.
Several species were seen from my position with the greatest number being lots of Fieldfares (uncounted).  These beautiful Thrushes were seen on both bare land as well as stubble where they hunted for food. Several earthworms were being pulled from the ground by the birds.  A few Blackbirds were seen as well, some with the Fieldfares, some singly along field edges.  Other species seen on or close to the fields included a few Skylarks and Meadow Pipits, Robin, Dunnock, and Goldfinches, which were seen in weedy roadside habitat
Fieldfare near Welborne, Norfolk 18th Jan.

Fieldfare near Welborne 18th Jan
Fieldfare near Welborne 18th Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment