Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Friday 25 March 2016

Threxton and Little Cressingham, Norfolk

From sunrise, and indeed throughout the whole day, the day was very bright with some passing cloud around midday.  The wind was a moderate NW.  A maxima of 15 degrees Celsius.
And it was from sunrise that I started my 4 mile walk taking in both Threxton and Little Cressingham.  The recent run of northerly winds have clearly blocked arrivals of summer migrants, this was reflected  in the absence of Chiffchaffs along my whole route.
This was a productive walk with a good selection of common birds seen as follows:

1 Kestrel - a stunning female in early morning light on a hedge.
1 Barn Owl - entering nest site
2 Buzzards {pair}
Blackbird - many seen including 7 singing males
1 Mistle Thrush singing
Song Thrush at 2 localities
1 Fieldfare
Long-tailed Tits at 4 sites
Goldcrest
Greenfinch singing 2+sites
Yellowhammer - 2 sites

Walking along the country road between Saham Toney and Great Cressingham I saw a distant Barn Owl sitting on a gate.  I was walking towards that locality, therefore I expected to see this bird again.
After some more walking I reached the location and saw the Barn Owl approaching me at about head height, I stood still and could see it was carrying mammal prey in its talons.  The Owl then entered its nest-site, a hole in a roadside Oak.  The hole was lined both inside and out by a thick covering of Ivy.  Clearly, this Barn Owl was feeding young in the nest...superb. 

Further interest seen today with a beautiful Brimstone butterfly passing through my Watton garden. A couple of Small Tortoiseshells also seen today.

No comments:

Post a Comment