Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Thursday 24 December 2015

Brandon Parva, Norfolk

My afternoon break from work started very wet and windy, although I knew it would pass fairly readily. Clear and bright conditions followed with an often strong South-South-Westerly wind.
I didn't bother to wander from the car, preferring to stay close to the church where some cover would shelter birds from the wind.  A couple of male Robins squared up to each other in a hedge with one conceding rather than duel.  A few Chaffinches were seen.
Raptors featured nicely on this visit with the first being a Buzzard riding the strong wind, this was shortly followed by a Red Kite which demonstrated it excellent ability of being able to adjust its wings and tail in order to master the strong wind.
Just prior to 1400 hours I looked up to see a fine looking adult Peregrine Falcon fly directly above me and then off south-west. This impressive bird was low enough for me to see the barring on the underparts and the black hood.
The final raptor seen this afternoon was a Kestrel which passed the car very close to me.  It was at this time I took a moment to appreciate the slender looking Kestrel from the more powerfully built and much larger Peregrine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment