Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Predictions for Friday 16th October into Saturday 17th October 2015

The coming weekend will be my first weekend off from work in a month, this being due to working my own weekends and helping a friend out by doing his weekend.  I feel that my workload has been such that I have probably missed a lot of good birds on the patch during the latter part of September and early October.
Pressure map for Saturday 17th October 2015
The next few days will see north-easterly winds hitting Norfolk and on Friday 16th and Saturday 17th October the North-Easterly wind will be coming direct from Scandinavia.  Friday night into Saturday (my first Saturday off in five weeks) will hopefully see some spectacular movements of Thrushes into the UK.  Redwing and Song Thrush flocks could hold high numbers of birds.  The larger Fieldfare will also be passing over in high numbers.
Thrush passage is one of my most eagerly awaited for bird spectacles, both the visually and audible.  During the hours of darkness listen for the piercing "seeeep" call of Redwings and the "tic" call of Song Thrushes as they pass over.  
Blackbirds will also be seen passing over, often in high numbers also.  I remember a few years ago I was walking from Saham Toney to Great Cressingham when at first light, hundreds of Blackbirds descended into the hedgerows and trees following their overnight passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment