Breckland Birder

Breckland Birder
Red Deer in Breckland, Norfolk Photo by Paul Newport

Sunday 28 October 2012

Winter Thrushes on the Move

Saturday 27 October 2012

After lying dormant for over three years readers will see that I have now been awoken.  It is now time to start recording, once again, my birding experiences in this most beautiful and birding attractive part of the country.  Not only the wildness and countryside that makes up the area known as "Breckland" but the nearby Norfolk coast which promises and delivers so much every year.  I now want to share my enjoyment of this birding paradise with others.

So, a short introduction to set the scene for autumn.  I was out with Toby earlier today and, joy of joys, above me passing at great height were the arriving flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares.  Early days but I am hoping also for a first Ring Ouzel as loads have been seen on the coast.

Newly-arrived Fieldfare  Turdus pilaris

And what of the wintering Hen Harriers with that exquisite male, even if he is generally outnumbered 3 to 1 by the less flamboyant female?

1 comment:

  1. really good site , was out flying the harris yesterday and she spooked about 15 fieldfares sat up in a oak tree

    ReplyDelete